Mold illness is a medical condition that is very serious and often misdiagnosed.
Mold illness is not a mold allergy. When a genetically susceptible individual is exposed to mold spores from a water damaged building, an acute inflammatory response is initiated within minutes. The correct term for the abnormal immune response is Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS). Symptoms may include cognitive decline, fatigue, joint and muscle pain, headaches, sinusitis, cough, shortness of breath, abdominal pain and blurred vision. Twenty five percent of the population is genetically predisposed to mount an inflammatory immune response to mold biotoxins and rapidly lose their quality of life. They may not appear ill, but their symptoms can be debilitating. Testing for this illness is not readily available in Canada and is unknown to most health care practitioners. See www.survivingmold.com for further details.